Thursday, June 13, 2019

Growth Mindset

The message of Carol Dweck is abundantly clear as we read and watch about Growth Mindset (GM) and its effects on not just classroom achievements, but in all facets of our lives. I believe it is easy for anyone to listen, read or watch these ideas and get behind them. However, the real challenge is the application in our own individual lives. Can we truly walk the walk?


I first was introduced to Dweck and her 8th grade math research while reading Grit by Angela Lee Duckworth. And in her book Duckworth puts forth a chart of GM praises versus FM praises that each group in the study were told. I was immediately taken aback because even though I so fervently believed I was team GM, I found that my words told a different story. In my own personal life I have struggled with weight loss, I have lost over 100 pound and it took 30 years for me to get there all of which did not occur until I started to change my own mindset and really believe I could do another mile or another rep when my brain was trying to tell me to just give up. And it's something I continue to struggle with daily. Why is that? Well, I believe it is deeply rooted in how I was (we were) raised. My mother, who I adore, was raised to keep up appearances like a Norman Rockwell painting. Thus praising talent and intelligence over process was ingrained just like you might nod your head when listening to someone. After hearing so much praise for me grades and natural talent, I began to use that as my compass for success. If I had to try then something was wrong with me, because I was always told how smart I was. I found and still find myself caught in a swirl of GM and FM. I think we all do and it's hard to undo that deep seeded FM of wanting everything to be easy. My buddy who I work out with is a huge inspiration and he always tells me to remember that my brain is going to mess with me, when people reach 40% into a new program their brain is naturally going to go into a flight mode that you will have to fight against. Hard work is just that, hard. We as humans have an ability to overcome our natural instincts.

As an educator and building leader, I work hard in paying attention to my words. I carefully craft even the smallest of emails to staff. I want to ensure that I am setting a positive and optimistic example that focuses on growth and the power of yet. Technology does not come naturally to a lot of people (of all ages) and this allows me great opportunity to put GM into practice and not just "Talk" about it. I find ways to praise teachers and students merely for leaving their comfort zone. And most importantly I have to constantly remind myself and talk to myself with the same care. Be kind to yourself, and keep focused on your goals. Every mistake is a chance to learn and an opportunity for growth-Keep the faith!

My Growth Mindset Classroom Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment